Gears & Boom Powder
Humans possess exceptional drive and a great capacity to endure and expand, and as such are currently the dominant race in Aldion. Their kingdoms and nations are vast, sprawling things, and the citizens of these societies carve names for themselves with the strength of their sword arms and the power of their spells. Humanity is best characterized by its tumultuous and diverse nature, and human cultures run the gamut from savage but honorable tribes to decadent, devil-worshiping noble families in the most cosmopolitan cities. Human curiosity and ambition often triumph over their predilection for a sedentary lifestyle, and many leave their homes to explore the innumerable forgotten corners of the world or lead mighty armies to conquer their neighbors, simply because they can.
Being spread across the continent in such numbers has lead to many unique adaptations and inter-species relationships resulting in a slew of half breeds and sub races. The Humans of Aldion are divided into seven different sub races, each have biological traits that separate them from the next. Even the many sub races are frequently encountered in nearly all nations and territories, it is not uncommon for the Orlesians, who reside an ocean away, to appear in the lands of Aldion or even have established ancestry there.
Originally hailing from the nations of the continent Orles, the Orlesian Humans have a unique appearance that has resulted from the warm, tropical climate of their homeland.
Special Physical Traits:
- Tanned skin, ranging from light brown to a bronze or even sometimes olive
- Lime green, hazel, brown, and black eyes are the trade mark eye colors of an Orlesian
- Thick, dark hair that ranges anywhere from a chocolate brown to a darkened auburn color. Blonde and red hair is almost unheard of among the Orlesian peoples.
- They are typically one of the shorter human sub races, standing at an average of 5’5" and reaching a maximum of around 5’10".
- They are well suited for hot temperatures with their thin, but toned builds. It is difficult for an Orlesian to gain body fat, but it is still possible.
- They have a knack for swimming, they tend to move quicker in water and are able to hold their breath longer.
- Their small frames help them regulate their temperature whilst under the hot sun, they can stand the heat far better than most. Put them on top of a mountain and you’ll find them prone to frostbite, they find it difficult to warm themselves when exposed to such temperatures.
- Their elitist society prides itself on their naturally silver tongues and beautiful language. They are charismatic and often very attractive.
- In ancient times, the tribal humans that eventually became today’s Orlesians were adept with tridents, it was their main tool for farming, fishing, hunting, and even sometimes building. This has been passed on through the generations, an Orlesian will always find that a trident just feels natural in their hands.
Native to the mountains of Aldion, the Barath’s are considered to be the second oldest humans in Aldion. They’re second only to the Humans that appear more commonly in the East, what is considered the progenitor race of human. It is speculated that while the Orlesians developed from a tribe of humans that managed to drift across the ocean, the Barath and Arakatian men and women developed when their tribes split to the Northern mountains and the Southern coasts.
Special Physical Traits:
- They are a fair skinned people, Barath’s often appear a bit pale because of the lack of sun in the North.
- Normal Barath eye colors are light blues, grays, dark blues, and emerald green or hazel. Unique to those of Barath descent is yellow eyes, it is a rare trait that is said to come from the Old Gods themselves.
- The Northmen and women are well known to be tall, standing at an average height of 6’2", 6’6" at the most.
- Their bodies are well suited for the frigid mountain climates they endure, they build muscle and gain fat quickly. Their physiques usually vary depending on their ancestors, sons and daughters of warriors are often large and muscular, while those that descended from the Barath traders and farmers tend to be a bit more plump.
- Traversing the harsh terrain of the mountains and it’s thick forests is an easy feat that comes naturally for Baraths. Their ancestry brings them closer to the nature of the North, they feel at home in the wilds and can survive rather well in the wilderness without prior training.
- Their heritage offers them a resistance to the cold, they can endure the snow and blizzards far better than any Orlesian, but lack a decent tolerance to the heat. A Barath will find himself sweating buckets and having trouble regulating his body temperature in the blazing tropics.
- Descending from the ancient Berserkers and nomadic raiders that once lived in the mountains, they find themselves most comfortable when their blood is hot and their temper is at risk of slipping. Frustration and anger tends to narrow their focus, allowing them to act better than most when aggravated.
When the old tribes split to the North and to the South, the Arkatian people found themselves in the savannah that covered a large portion of the continent, separating the coast from the midlands. They adapted and became the Arkatian people we know today. Large animals, dangerous predators, unsavory weather, and scarce water drove them to adapt. They were the first to establish large communities and enter a somewhat civilized age, their progress was lost to war hundreds of years later, but their ability to learn and adapt quickly will never perish.
Special Physical Traits:
- Their skin is more bronzed than even the Orlesians, they have a more reddish tint to them. Their skin is nearly always flawless, they pride themselves on their beautiful skin.
- Arkatian eyes are almost always brown or black, in some rare cases there have been full blooded Arkatians with bright blue eyes.
- Their hair is usually dark to light browns with very faint tints red. Black hair is another common color that appears.
- Probably the most average human sub race when it comes to height, they stand at an average height of 5’10", reaching a max of 6’0".
*Having advanced beyond their need to survive nature long ago, they have no specific average body build. Their physique is solely based on what genetics has granted them and what they choose to do with their bodies. Some Arkatians are obese while others have large toned muscles.
- Populations with high concentrations of Arkatians tends to have access to many scientific, magical, and technological advancements. This can be attributed to the Arkatians inept ability to retain information better than most humans, giving them the ability to learn and replicate these breakthroughs. Despite this ability, they lack creativity; therefore they lack the capacity to expand on these things and mostly rely on others to introduce them to new concepts.
- Their adaption to civilization grants them advanced street smarts, they are better suited for the urban jungle than most and thrive in the largest of cities. This ability also makes them more comfortable when dealing with economic endeavors and aristocratic business.
- When metallurgy reached the Arkatian society, they used it to create perhaps the biggest revolutionary item of their past: large curved swords. A greatscimitar is as fluent in an Arkatian warriors hands as a quill is in the hands of an old archivist.
In the South Western tropics, where the savannas turned to either arid badlands or tropical rainforests, humans are abundant even here. The Hesh’tehk were once nomads that wandered into the South and moved West to the great tropical rainforests. Here, they built great pyramids and worshiped the feathered dragons that stalked the primitive lands. As time progressed, so did they, assimilation with the rest of the world did not come easy for them though. The Hesh’tehk people still hold onto their tribal origins and embrace their ancient culture while accepting the new world along side it.
Special Physical Traits:
- Like the other southern group, they have reddish skin, but unlike the Arkatians, they have a small range of skin tones.
- Hesh’tehk eye color is probably the most exotic of all the human race, their proximity to the multiple Thinned Veils in that region of the continent has had a few side-effects on their biology. Glowing orange, green, yellow, blue, red, and violet eyes is the most prominent effect. Not all Hesh’tehk eyes emit a glow, though.